Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Football Season

Spencer's first Football Season started at the beginning of August and this weekend was their preseason tournament!! Spencer is LOVING it!! They are in full pads and in the past three weeks he has had a blast figuring out how to run, catch, throw, etc. while in his gear! He's learned plays, positions, tackling, etc. Watching games this weekend was sooooo much fun! Especially cause Spencer was having fun! He didn't get to play a ton because he'd been out for a week with a concussion (not from football, from wrestling with my cousing Jordan) and got clearance from the doctor to start playing the day of the first game! He had been watching practice and able to do walk throughs of the plays so in the games he didn't do too bad!
When they put CHRISTOFFERSON on the back of the Jersey the said if there had been one more letter they wouldn't have been able to fit it!! Hilarious!
The first game they lost pretty bad I think it was 21 to 7 but the team was older and had been playing together for two years already. Their Saturday game ended in a tie though we should have won. The other team only had one kid that could run the ball. Spence had an AWESOME defensive hit on the kid as he tried to cut the corner and head to the end zone. Spencer told us after the game that when he saw the kid turn the corner he knew it was up to him and he thought (and I quote) "ya think you're gonna score...oh no you don't" then he hit him!!

So I tried not to put pictures in of Spence that show how REALLY big his helmet is. You can sorta tell from these pics, but I tried not to put the obvious ones in because it is REALLY obvious! He looks like a "orange on top of a toothpic"! The real "Heeeed Move Now". The shoulder pads help it to not look too big but we just have to face the fact that the kid has a big head. When we bought his helmet we had him fitted by a guy who works for the helmet company. Apparantly he had no clue what he was doing! When we the helmet home Spencer could barely get it on and off without crying. We took it back to the store and the 300 pound version of Ryan (seriously, the guy could have been Ryan's long lost twin brother. He looked like him, talked like him, moved like him....only a little slower cause he weighed about 300 lbs) who totally new what he was doing said he was gonna fire the guy who fitted Spence cause the helmet was completely to small AND the wrong shape for his head. We had to special order him a new helmet! He promised me it would last for years to come since it cost up the ying yang to buy! But now his head is protected properely and hopefully his head won't grow any bigger for at least a few years! (If it does we may have to quit football cause his neck won't be big enough to hold an XL sized helmet on it) :-) Oh the adventures of long last named, big headed, football playing children!!

Spencer had just come off the field in the shot below! The shot above is his coach, who we LOVE!! He is GREAT and really knows what he's doing. (he played college at CSU)

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

How cute is that!? Little kids playing football is just adorable. I can't wait to see him in action tonight and to see how big his head looks in person!

Heather said...

That name thing is so funny! I love it. I wish I could be there to see him play. Take a video and post it or something. Tell him I love him.

Julie said...

Well its about freakin time you blog something new. Tell Spencer that he's a total stud and that I LOVE what he said about the dude scoring a touchdown. Good for him! I'm suprised that your last name fit on the jersey since they could barely get our name on Jack's and really, his head is not THAT big. If you ask me all the kids look like bobble heads!

Nicole said...

I love bobblehead football- I wouldn't have notice the helmet until you pointed it out- it is big! I totally laughed at your blog- how fun! Justin loved seeing the pics of Spenc playing. Go Spenc go!

Nicole said...

Justin just said that there are two guys on his team that look like space aliens because their bodies are so skinny and thier helmets are so big!

Anonymous said...

I've always been partial to large-headed children. Maybe because all my nieces and nephews have such big heads!