Monday, August 10, 2009

Goodbye Nana


It doesn't matter how many babies I've had, whenever I have to say goodbye to my mom after she's been at my house to help me with my babies, I cry! EVERY TIME!!! I thought this time would be different. After all, this is my 5th baby, I'm feeling great and I have a lot of help from my older kids.

The few days before she left everyone kept asking my if I'd be okay when she left. My reply was "yep, I'm fine". And I really thought I was. Even while we were driving to the airport after a fun lunch with the kids at Red Robin, I was fine. Even when we pulled up to the drop of lane and I got out to help with mom's bags while she gave hugs and kisses to the kids, I was fine! Then she came over to give me a hug and I lost it! In fact, we both lost it! I HATE saying goodbye to her but hate it even more when she has been my right hand for 2 1/2 weeks with a new baby! I cried all the way home and even a little once I was home! My mom is such a HUGE help in everyway and I always wonder how I'm going to do it without her here. Somehow I'm able to figure it out and after a few days life returns to somewhat normal and I realize I can do it on my own! However, without her showing me the ropes I really question if I would be as functional as I am after my babies are born. I hope when my daughters have their babies I'll be able to be as big of a help to them as my mom has been to me.

Here is a list of the amazing things she does to help me:

1. Helps take care of the kids who are at home when I am still in the hospital. She helps feed them, dress them, and love them.
2. Keeps my house clean while I'm in the hospital and when I'm out. My house is ALWAYS clean when mom is here. I need to be more like her at cleaning up messes after they happen. I LOVE when its clean!
3. Offers to stay up late at night, or to have me wake her up, if the baby isn't sleeping and has days and nights mixed up! Thankfully with all my babies except Spencer I've never had to wake her up. (When Annie and G were born my mom couldn't be here so MarJane and Aunt Peri came. I didn't even have to wake them up either cause none of them had days mixed up with nights)
4. Changes the baby every morning to get her ready for the day. She bathes, lotions, and dresses the baby. My babies smell SOOOOO good when Nana is here to help!
5. Gives the first bath after the belly button falls off. Tradition!
6. When MarJane is here, MJ cooks and Mom cleans up. Its a system they've had going since they were roomies in college and it works great! :-)
7. Mom cooks (after MJ leaves) and continues the doing the kitchen clean up.
8. Plans the menu and does the grocery shopping.
9. Does my laundry. I actually need to write this in capital, bold letters. DOES MY LAUNDRY!!! And when I say she does my laundry I mean she sorts, washes, drys AND folds all my laundry! I LOVE that!!
10. She gets me out of the house!! Yep, mom isn't one to let me sit around and wait for the baby blues to set in, she gets me up and moving, whether its a quick trip to Target or a lunch at a yummy restaurant, she gets me moving. I remember the week after Spencer was born she made me go to the Mall. It was the week before Christmas and we both had a few more things to get. I asked her to get them for me but she refused and told me I was fine and needed to get moving. Sounds a bit mean, but really was the BEST thing for me. It helps with healing and helps ward off the "down days"!
11. Makes me take naps and lets me sleep in. Even though she makes me get up and moving, she is also fantastic at taking the baby or the other kids so I can get the rest I need.
12. This time, with school starting so soon after Avery was born, mom took Annie school clothes shopping for me. She just needed a few things since the weather is still so warm but they had a great time shopping and going to lunch and came home with some adorable new clothes for school. (the next week mom came with me as I shopped for the boys stuff since they don't care about shopping and didn't want to come)
13. She is GREAT at keeping my house clean but she also leaves me with a "gift" of having a house keeper for a few weeks. It is FANTASTIC to not have to worry about cleaning my house when I have a newborn!
14. Reassures me that when she leaves, I'll be okay and can do this on my own!

Honestly, I could go on and on with all the things my mom helps me with! She is wonderful and I know things wouldn't be the same for me or my family without her. I think the best way to sum up all the things she does for me is to say that she has taught me how to be a mother. I'm sooooo blessed and sooooo grateful to have her and only hope I can be as wonderful a mother to my children as she has been to me. Thank you for EVERYTHING Mom!!! I LOVE you and miss you! (and still feel like crying a little bit thinking that you're not here anymore :-)

3 comments:

Tosha Mack said...

That is sooo sweet! It makes me miss my mom in Armenia. And it makes me not want to have a baby until she gets back. Moms are great!

jensenfamily said...

that's so sweet, seriously - it makes me tired just thinking of all the stuff she did~ can you send that housecleaner to my house after?? erin

Lindsay said...

Moms are the best! I have no doubt that you will be as helpful to your girls as she was to you!