Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Newborn Baby Phase




Avery will be one month old tomorrow and I'm getting so sad that time is moving so quickly! When I was pregnant I couldn't get time to go fast enough and now that she's here I can't get time to slow down.

The other night, as I sat gazing at my baby girl, I started to think of all the things I love about having a newborn baby! Avery is our last one and a little part of me is sad that this is the last time I'll ever have this experience. I don't want to forget...

...her smell. The smell of a brand new baby! In the hospital I couldn't get enough of Avery's smell. So fresh, clean and new! Mmmmm, I love the smell.

...her sounds. The little grunts and sqeaks she makes when she's sleeping. Avery is the squeakiest of all my kids and I love it (even if it does prevent me from sleeping at night :-).
...her snuggles. She just folds up into a little peanut and rests her head against my chest.
...her little diapers and little bum. Little tiny diapers wrapped around little tiny bums! Oh how I love little diapers!
...her poopie diaper smell. I know it sounds gross but that smell means the baby is eating well and growing well, and if I'm going to have to smell poop, that's the kind I'd prefer. A few months and that poopie smell will be much much worse!
...her baby burps. It amazes me the burps that can come out of a small little baby.
...feeding her. Nursing. I know a lot of women don't enjoy it, but I love it. I love the time I get to just sit, be still and snuggle with my newborn. Their clucks, and gulps and gasps are so sweet.
...her baby stretches. I love when Avery wakes up and stretches her little arms up above her head.
...her yawns that are so big I think she may just turn inside out!
...her little eyes peering up into my eyes as she snuggles against my chest.
...her little perfect mouth making funny little shapes.
...her soothers (pacifiers) being sucked as hard as possible with the "I'm hungry" sound she makes.
...her tiny little feet and hands.
...her bathtime. I love getting her clean, lathered in lotion and smelling soooo yummy.
...her little button nose!
...her breath. Love that smell on my face when we're snuggling!
...her tiny fingers clasped around one of mine.
...her hand resting on my chest when I have her cradled in my arms!
...her little head bobbing around on my shoulder when she's still hungry.
...her face when she is so relaxed and in a deep sleep. Chubby cheeks, tiny little mouth, and her steady breathing.
...her dependence on me to love, adore, teach and guide her on her journey through this life! What a privilege, honor and blessing it is for me to have that responsibility and I don't ever want to forget the role I need to play in her life!

I'm so amazed each time I have a baby at how much I instantly adore, cherish and love them. I feel so blessed to have my five beautiful children. Avery has brought such a feeling of added love and joy to our home. I look so forward to watching her grow and seeing my older kids continue to adore her. But, at the same time, I wish it wouldn't happen so quickly! I'm trying to do all I can to enjoy and cherish every single moment!

9 comments:

Joy H said...

beautiful....can I borrow her just to enjoy that yumminess!

Heather said...

Love her and I love you! I am getting excited that my little one will be here soon (but not too soon)

Lindsay said...

I so love all those things that you listed! Little fresh babies are the best! It does go by way too quickly, it's a mean trick! If only the sassy, stubborn stages could go by just as quickly!

Amy said...

You said it perfectly, Mar!! I love all those things too and miss them about my Drew!!

Nathan & Michelle Watabe said...

An emotional post for a pregnant woman to read! Can't wait for all that stuff! Congrats! She is so cute and sweet!

Marcie said...

She is such a little peanut! Beautiful...well done mom and dad!

mj said...

You have to stop being so mushy...Everytime a read one of your blogs, I start to cry...or as Grandma Jeanne says "Running over with joy" Love you all

Proud Momma said...

I have to steal this post because it's exactly how I feel about Charlotte!

Anonymous said...

so cute..she is beautiful.