Wednesday, August 12, 2009

First Day of School 2009


This week the three older kids had their first day of school and boy was it eventful! With a new Principal, new teachers, seeing friends and CRAZY new bus route issues (the news was even at our bus stop after school), it made for a memorable day!

SPENCER


Spencer is in 6th grade this year and excited to "rule the school". He was excited to learn that he got the teacher he was hoping for and so far she has not disappointed! "My teacher is Awesome!" were his words after the first day! With lots to look forward to this year, Spence is already off to a great start!

ANNIE


Annie is in 4th grade this year! All the fourth grade teachers this year are fabulous and she got one that she had part time when she was in 2nd grade and her teacher went on maternity leave. Quite a few of her friends are in her class and she's thrilled to be back to learning! Seriously, I don't think there is a child in the world who loves to learn as much as Annie does!

GARETT


Garett is in 2nd grade and was SOOOOOO excited for school to start! Last week we went to the school for "Lemonade on the Lawn" to meet his teacher, see his classroom and drop of his school supplies. His two best friends are in his class again this year as well as a little girl who has a huge crush on him. She sits right next to him and when he saw her name on the desk next to his he put his hand over his face and shook his head while turning bright red! I wish I'd had my video camera. It was the cutest and funniest thing ever!

NEW PRINCIPAL

After 5 years of being less than thrilled with our principal, this year we have a new one! The whole community is ecstatic and so far we've been impressed. Let's hope this year brings a lot of positive change to our school!

BUS ISSUES

Last year the school district announced that due to budget cuts they'd be combining bus stops throughout the county. When they posted the bus stop locations online parents went nuts. The first day of school I walked the kids to the new bus stop and it was CRAZY!! There were at least 150 people at the stop (both kids and parents) and no place for anyone to stand to wait. The street where the stop is is a busy street so there were cars everywhere. Some parked, some whizzing past... After a few minutes 2 busses showed up and kids started piling on. It was a zoo. That afternoon when I walked up to the stop to meet the kids, there were 3 news stations there doing a story on the situation. The districts solution to the budget cuts was to combine stops but still have the same number of buses. Hmmmmm, what???? What is the difference between 2 busses at one stop and 2 busses each at their own stop? Makes no sense. Anyway, after much media, many phone calls from parents and pressure to keep our kids safe, we just found out they will be adding another stop to our neighborhood! Yeah!!!

7 comments:

Julie said...

That is crazy about the bus route! Glad its getting resolved! Your kids are darling. I seriously can't believe school is starting. It seems like we got out for the summer like 5 minutes ago! Weird! Hope you're feeling better today!

Lindsay said...

Yea! Back to school time is here! I love the first day of school pics, they are always so cute! We too have been having major bus issues in our neighborhood. Same issue: sooo many kids on a busy street and complete chaos! I hope they get it figured out. Luckily it doesn't affect us at all. So few kids from our neighborhood go to Madison's school that there isn't much chaos, just a bummer that our stop is far enough away from our house that I have to drive her there, boo!

Heather said...

Looks like the first day was great! I can't wait for my kids. 7 days plus two weekends! Yippy!

Amy said...

So cute...I love the start of school and the fact that I'm not having to be there myself! hehehe I drive by though and feel little, very, very, very, VERY small pangs of teaching homesickness!! :) I hope your kids have a WONDERFUL school year this year...

Lisa said...

I can't believe all the cuts this year... but that is crazy!! Isn't it great to have the kids in school! They look great.

oooo said...

i always love the first day of school! yay! it's fun for everyone! i cannot believe how big they're getting, fun pictures:) xoxo

Proud Momma said...

I hate bus issues...always so much drama when it seems so simple!

I love how excited kids are to get back to school!