Thursday, August 30, 2007

"Read the note FIRST"

I don't know what it is about this week but my kids are doing and saying the most hilarious things! Tonight was back to school night for Spencer and Annie and while they went down to the Bronco game with Nicole and Justin (my sis'n law and nephew visiting from California), I headed over to the school. Before leaving for the game, Spencer asked me a few times if I was going to back to school night. I told him yes to which he replied, "read the note at my desk before you look at my poster". I told him okay, not thinking anything of it! As I dropped Nic and the kids off at the light rail Spencer said, "Have fun at back to school night mom, remember, read the note first". Again, I didn't think anything of it!

I headed over to the school, sat through all the introductions and then headed to Spencer's classroom to have a little presentation from his teacher. By 4th grade you know or at least recognize most of the parents and so we were all chit chatting, laughing, filling out paper work, etc. We all casually found our child's desk, sat down and proceeded to read the little notes each of our children had left for us. At this point, the request to read the note first had completely left my mind. The request quickly returned to memory as I read the following:

Dear Mom,
I love you soooo much! Thank you for coming to my back to school night. I'm so sorry you are not my Hero! ps-thanks for bringing lunch and eating with me today!
Love, Spencer

I cannot even describe to you the fits of laughter that I broke into. So much that tears were streaming down my face. After reading it aloud to all the parents they were laughing too! Spencer's teacher said it had been quite the ordeal in school as it sunk in to Spencer that he had finished a big poster project with a spotlight on his hero and that I was the one who was coming to the school to read it! Hilarious!

So now I'm curious and wondering who his hero is. I took a pretty good guess and was right. Dad is the hero! He did the cutest write up with a picture of him and Adam that he brought from home! His dad is, should be and by all means, deserves to be, his hero! Aren't I lucky to have my children be so blessed to have such an awesome father?

So, with that and a little chuckle to myself I wrote a note back!

Dear Spencer,
It's okay that I'm not your hero. I get to be something even better--I get to be your mom!!
I Love You!
Mom

5 comments:

Proud Momma said...

Okay that story actually made me well up a little...you have the cutest little boy! I just love how kids are so honest and sweet:)
It sounds like you've done wonders as a mom!

Lindsay said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that got emotional reading that, Libby! I can't believe it didn't make you cry Mar, especially with that email that you sent out earlier this week. That is so cute though! Spencer is such a great kid!

Lisa said...

Thanks for the cry, Mar. Reading it outloud to Chris in my pregnant emotional state did not help. What a cute story!

Louise said...

so stink'n cute!

Nicole said...

That makes me laugh and cry! We had so much fun- thanks for the great weekend!!!!