Logan crashing on the couch while watching a little of the Olympics!
Annie. Wasted!
Between homework, piano, football, soccer, tae kwon do, scouts, activity days and eating dinner, we are on the move constantly. I used to think that as the kids got older, things would slow down, again, me, sorely mistaken. Despite the chaos of it all I am secretly loving it. I love that my kids are active, I love that they are enjoying their activities and I love watching them learn and grow.
The past few weeks have obviously been quite eventful but here is a simple rundown of what we've been up to!
PRINTING PRACTICE
To start, I've been a bit disappointed with the writing program at my kids school, and more specifically with the way they teach printing. I remember growing up and printing EVERY SINGLE DAY, first grade through 4th. And not just printing to write a story, but actual printing, you know:
A A A A A A A A A
a a a a a a a a a a a
Adam ate an apple and aggravated his Adam's apple!
We would do our letters over and over and over again. When I was in second grade, if your printing was nice and neat you got to start learning cursive. (I wasn't ever good enough and had to wait until 3rd grade). Anyway, Spencer and Garett have terrible printing. Garett because he's still learning and Spencer for many reasons but mostly because he's always in a hurry. I tell him all the time that he will get bad grades if his printing doesn't improve but his teachers still give him A's on his papers. DRIVES. ME. NUTS. So, I decided to take matters into my own hands and went to the teachers store and bought a bunch of stuff, turned my Dining Room into a mini classroom and my kids now have morning "Printing Practice". Annie's printing is quite neat, but I have her doing it too just so she can get even better. I thought the kids would rebel against this new part of our morning routine, but they have loved it and after only a week and a half are getting better!
SCOUTS
The next event this month has been working on Spencer's Scouting. Usually at this time of year I pull out his book and realize that with only 3 more months til his birthday that we have a TON to do for him to earn his next Cub Scout badge. This year things are a bit different. He is a Webelo Scout, working towards earning both his Webelo badge and his Arrow of Light, both of which he needs to have before becoming an 11 year old scout. This summer we were really good at passing things off and at August Pac Meeting he earned his Webelo and only has a few more things to do to get his Arrow of Light! I'm so happy that we won't have to rush through it and cram it all in before his birthday! It will all be done by the end of this month! Spencer receiving his WEBELO Pin
Good Job Spence!
LOOSE TOOTH
Garett has DESPERATELY wanted to lose his first tooth. With friends (and cousins) all around him losing their teeth he has been getting pretty depressed that none of his had fallen out yet. That all changed this week as he came to me and said, "Mom, I think my tooth is wiggly?" I felt it and sure enough it was. I told him if he wiggled it all day for a few days it would be ready. That night at bedtime he insisted that I try to pull it with floss. I knew it wasn't ready but with his persistence finally gave in and tried. True to my teeth pulling experience, I was right and it would come out. He was soooo sad but resolved to wiggle and wiggle it all the next day! By the next night it was ready and we popped it right out! To say he was excited is an understatement! I think in his mind he thought he had finally arrived and life could now start! It was soooo cute to watch him jump around the room with excitement! Little does he know that the next few years he'll look awkward as his toothless smile turns into a goofy, big teeth grin! I love it! YIPEE, IT's OUT!!!
A Wholey Grin!
See the spot Mom, see it?
9 comments:
Aaaawwwww, G-man looks so cute! What determination to get that tooth wiggly enough to pull out after only 2 days of wiggling. Cute boy! Alright...I feel you on the busy. Its too crazy! Thinking about this next week is already making me EXHAUSTED! Ahhhh, the life of a mommy!
I love the blog makeover. How funny you have printing practice. Lexie has the worst printing and I blame part of it on her first grade teacher. It was great in kinder because her teacher would only except perfect. Then Lexie always had to be first and got very sloppy. Way to take control!
Hey Marilee, your family has been quite busy as always!! Love the new background and photos darling! I know where you are coming from with school work, projects due, scouting for Aaron, soccer and dance for the older girls and last of all loose teeth. Sarah has one adult tooth in and another coming in. Megan her twin is dying to have at least one tooth loose. Hope all is well with you.
I love your printing practice idea. It's too bad that things like that aren't taken better care of in school these days. I fear what else they will miss out on learning.
Oh the dreaded ugly stage that every kid goes through, that's not usually until the front teeth though hey? He is a cutie!
looks like fun! i'm happy for g! love you!
great idea for "home" work printing. Love the new background. It's great!
Good job on setting up a mini school in your dining room to improve your kids writing! What a great idea! As I've said many times before, you are the busiest woman I know, I don't know how you do it! And you never seem frazzled to me! You are amazing! When I bring my kids over for you to watch them, you always have someone else's kids at your house too. You are a stud!
I can't believe you are having htem practice every morning! AWESOME! We actually get awards at school for writing- both creative and neatness- I LOVE that! G looks cute with a tooth gone. Did the toothafairy rememeber to come? We've only been in school 2 days and already I feel busy!
Wow... I'm impressed about the early morning printing practice. Ryan's printing is horrible. We need that! But there is no way I could do it in the morning. Yikes... not a morning person. Way to go, supermom!
Post a Comment