Friday, September 26, 2008

Youth Conference 2008


Adam and I were asked to be the ward Youth Conference Coordinators again this year. Because I suffer from "I can't say no" syndrome and from "I love working with the youth" syndrome, I of course said yes. Shortly after accepting the assignment our bishopric was changed and Adam was put into the new one so coordinat"orS" changed to coordinat"or". As has been the case the past 2 years all of the stress, hard work, and more stress paid off and the weekend turned out to be fabulous!
Two years ago the YC we planned was AWESOME! (and i don't say that to sound boisterous at all, I say it only because it really was AWESOME!) We ran "The Amazing Race" through Denver with 7 teams of youth with drivers, leaders, video cameras and craziness. It was sooooo fun! I was extremely fearful that this year would not even come close to the last one. I'm glad to say I was wrong. This one was just as great! Different but great and some of the kids said it was "WWWAAAAYYYYY better" when they bore their testimonies at the closing fireside!
So here's a quick run down of what we did!

THEME: Superhero Academy: Be Steadfast and Immovable
Mosiah 5:15 Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works, that Christ, the Lord Omnipotent, may seal you his, that you may be brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life, through the wisdom, and power, and justice and mercy of him who created all things, in heaven and in earth, who is God above all. Amen.
Friday Night: We divided the kids into teams. Each team was assigned a color as well as a "Superhero Characteristic" that we pulled from the scripture. Steadfast, Immovable, Good Works, Wisdom, Power, Justice, and Mercy. Then we headed out to Larkspur to a Ranch that a former bishop in our Stake just built. He has tons of land. He and his wife bought and built their house with the purpose of being able to host Youth conferences. Cool! So the schedule was this:

SUPERHEROES SAVING THE DAY - Service Project out at a Ranch Part of the service projecta t the ranch was painting the barn.
And putting in fence posts
More of painint the barn

SUPERHERO TRAINING-Fun games. Each game was named after the SH Characteristics.

The "Superhero Training" Field. The flags behing have the names of each characteristic. Hilary Walton, Me, Tamara Cooper-Leavitt, Vicki Fairchild, Kim Parker (leaders and committee members)
A better look at the flags!
Dan Parker as the "Destroyer" at the "Steadfast" game.

WHO'S YOUR SUPERHERO- Fireside. We asked 7 youth to speak and share who their "hero" was and why.
-back to our house and the Parkers for the YM to sleep at our house and the YW to sleep at Parkers

Saturday:

SUPERHERO BRIEFING: Morningside with our Stake President. It was up at Daniel's Park, a beautiful picnic spot that overlooks the Colorado Mountains.
Daniel's Park Pavillion for Morningside.

SUPERHEROS IN ACTION We then went to one of the local High Schools and did their ropes course. It was UNBELIEVABLE! The kids absolutely loved it as they flew through the air, jumped off of high buildings and scaled up the sides of walls. Sooooo fun!

Stephanie- the leader of the ropes course
One of our Young Men on top of the climbing pole getting ready to jump for the hanging rope! SCARIER than it lookes! Brook on the SWING getting ready to release!
This is me demonstrating how to fly! The director of the course told me that I had to do at least one of the 7 stations! I chose this one. It's a tall post you have to climb and then stand on the top and jum for the rope! It is SOOOOOO scary and so fun!
The HUGE rope swing after releasing!

SUPERHERO FINAL EXAM- Each team had to build a child's bike by following the directions they were given. Once their bike was built they had to get it approved by one of our bike pros. If it wasn't good enough they had to figure out why and fix it. Once their bike was approved they had to go out, with their team (and leaders who were drivers) into one of the less fortunate areas of where we live and find a child to give the bike to. We gave them one hour to do it. All the teams

When the teams had all returned from giving their bikes away we each team tell us a little bit about who they gave their bikes too. It was amazing to see the excitement on their faces and see how touched they were by this activity.
One team found a little boy who's birthday it was to give their bike to.

SUPERHERO GRADUATION- Of course all the youth passed the "Final Exam" so next game graduation where they all received their "diplomas" and "capes".

Sunday: Closing Fireside and Testimony.
It's my personal feeling that Youth Conference is not complete without hearing from the youth during a testimony meeting. It was great to hear the youth talk about their experiences and how they were impacted by what we did.

Working with the youth is such an uplifting and spiritual experience for me. They truly are the "chosen generation" and I believe the youth in our wards will grow up to do some pretty amazing things. I am so grateful for the opportunity I had to plan and carry out this activity. Whenever the youth gather together, the spirit is there!

12 comments:

Monica said...

Looks like you and the group had a great time. Hope you enjoy your new calling.

Julie said...

That is sooo cool! What a great idea! Careful, word gets out fast with blogging and you will be called to a MAJOR stake YC calling! Are you on the TREK committee already? I didn't know you knew the Parker's. I don't know Kim well but their girls Brittany and Brooke are great friends with my Jenni and Ali.

My Five Little Monkeys said...

I for one am so grateful you love the youth. Thanks for all you do for them and all your work. I know you love it, but still. Ton o'work. Sid had a great time, even though he didn't look so cheerful in the pictures. That's just his "cool" look. Yes, the change has come and he is driving us crazy with his pre-teen attitude, but thankfully the adults in his mutual life are up for a challenge!

Lindsay said...

That sounds so great! I loved the bike giveaway, so inspiring! I can't wait to finally be able to help you with one of your youth conferences, they always sound so amazing!

Andrea said...

That really sounds like it was fun! You are so creative! I am impressed. It is so rewarding and challenging at the same time to work with the youth.

Kendra said...

This is awesome! Events such as this make a big difference in our youths lives! So great that you are so creative, fun, and will to serve!

Proud Momma said...

wow Mar! You are my hero! What a great youth program you guys have!

Lisa said...

Sounds like another perfect youth conference. You are so good at those!!! You inspire me Mar!

Joy H said...

Sounds fabulous Marilee -- great job. What a fabulous accomplishment.

Amy said...

Marilee..that sounds like it was such a fun, amazing experience!!! How do you come up with such great ideas??? (I think I know the answer but had to pose the question anyways!!) I definitely know who to call if I ever get the chance to spear head something of this magnitude!! I'm glad you get to do this because you are definitely good at it!! Love you!!

Debbie said...

Mar-I absolutely loved hearing all of the details and seeing the pictures. I know how great YC was 2 years ago and can imagine this was no different. I just wish I was there too!!! ; ( And that my kids were there too! You always do a great job of whatever you do and I'm sure the kids will never forget it.

Miss you tons!
Debbie

Julie said...

Hey, did you go private yet? If so I am wondering how I still get the feed for your site when it updates. Let me know!