Thursday, September 11, 2008

"What is Patriot Day?"


Last night Spencer and Annie asked Adam and I "What is Patriot Day?". Adam and I started to tell them about September 11th, 2001. It was strange to me because I really haven't thought about it for quite a while. While I snuck away to put Logan and Garett to bed, Adam took Annie and Spencer into the computer and looked up 9/11 on youtube. They watched in stunned silence and then spent some time talking to Adam about it. Asking questions like "Where were you when it happened?" "Did Auntie Laura live in New York then?" "Hold old were we?", etc. This morning while we were getting ready for school Garett, who had overheard part of the kids conversation with Adam the night before began asking me questions about it too. I pulled up the Youtube video to show him. He too, watched in silence. As I watched along with him I was surprised at how emotional I was. I haven't seen the video of the planes crashing or the towers falling for a really long time, and it brought back so much emotion. What a tragic day it was for our Country and for the world, but at the same time, it was a day that brought feelings of pride, gratitude and peace. It was a day that I felt, more than I ever had before, proud to be an American. The kids and I all decided to dress in Red, White and Blue in remembrance of those who lost their lives. Patriots day is a day that from now on, we will all remember with pride and gratitude!

3 comments:

Heather said...

I'm glad you showed your kids that. I remember very well where I was that day - I was in your bed, had been up all night with food poisoning, Tyler woke up with blood coming from his ears (he had just had tubes put in) and mom had found out about her Breast Cancer that week. So many memories. Did you tell Spencer that he kept waking up with nightmares that his mommy and daddy's plane was going to crash into a building that week. I could just keep going on and on. And he said while watching it on TV. 'That pilot didn't watch where he was going!' It was so cute coming from an almost 4 year old.

It was a very sad day for our country, but I think it was a day that we found out what we are made of and a day when many hero's were born! Thanks for your post! LOVES

Brecken said...

Great blog post. That was great to take the time to explain that to your kids. Great mom! I forget that our kids won't remember Sept 11.

Nicole said...

We talked about it after school and the kids didn't know much. I think I will show them the video next time. Something none of us will, or should, forget. I was even talking about it scrapbooking at Joy's and very few had seen the World Trade Center movie I watched at your house. It was so good- it brought back all the emotions for me and added more. Proud to be an American!