Monday, August 18, 2008

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL




As strange as it is, last week was my kids first day of school. I say strange because I grew up starting school the day after Labour Day! Starting at the beginning of August is so foreign to me. It's still the middle of summer! Weird.

Anyway, the kids were so excited to go to school, meet their teachers and see all their friends.

Garett was a little bit nervous about it all since he was starting first grade, but he did GREAT! I took him to the school the first day and helped him find where to line up to meet his teacher. As we walked up there were two other boys in his class who greeted him enthusiastically! "Hi Garett, are you in the same class as us?" Turned out he was and it warmed my heart to see he had a few friends in his class. He's my quiet little guy, who keeps to himself and hesitates being the one to initiate playing with some of the other kids until he feels comfortable. He was a bit releived himself, to see some familiar faces! When he got off the bus after school he said "Mom, First grade is AWESOME!!" I was so happy to see him so happy.

My little First Grader!


Getting ready to say goodbye. I ALWAYS wear sunglasses on the first day of FIRST grade to cover the red eyes. I did pretty well saying goodbye but ended up being pretty tearful the rest of the day. I think it is sooooo much harder to send them off to first grade then it is to kindergarden. First grade is saying goodbye for the rest of forever. :-( So exciting for them, but such a clear, straight forward evidence to mommy's and daddy's that yes, indeed, they are growing up!
Standing in line to go in. The little boys behind G are the ones who were excited to have him in the same class!


Annie was overjoyed with her first day as her teacher this year is the same teacher she had in first grade! Of course she LOVED her in first grade and is sooooo happy to be in her class again!

She is growing up WAY too fast!
Amazing to think that my sweet little 3rd grader used to give me such stress and quite frankly, misery, on a daily basis. I thought her tantrum days would never end!! To those of you going through the tantrum phase, it's hard to see the light, but TRUST me, it gets better and better and eventually you doubt your own self as to whether those days were real or imaginary! Annie is soooooo much fun to be around now! Just LOVE her to bits!


Spencer got a teacher that taught 2nd grade last year and we don't know her at all. She seems really nice and so far Spencer really likes her! Last year was a rough year for him as far as teacher-student relationships go so we're hoping for a much better experience this year!

This little man is not much of a "little" man anymore! I can't believe he's in 5th grade! Just one more year to go after this and I'll have a middle schooler! Ugh! I'm getting OLD!
Spencer is such a GREAT kid! He is always helping me with the kids, making breakfast for his little brothers, playing with them and helping around the house. In school he is a hard worker and gets good grades from reading, to math to PE to music and everything in between. I'm so lucky to be the mommy of such a wonderful boy!!
Logan won't start preschool for a few more weeks so we're both enjoying a little more quiet at home. When he does start back I'll have two full days a week with kids in school all day. Whatever will I do with myself? (I'm sure I'll figure it out)
Of course this little center of attention needed to have some pictures taken of himself too! After we got home from taking the kids to school he posed for me to take a few shots! He's so funny and full of life! You can't look at him and not fall for his cute little smile and twinkle in his eye!


I'm definitely miss my kiddos while they are in school, but honestly, the last 2 weeks of summer break, I was starting to lose it! Terrible to admit but 3 months with 4 kids at home is the perfect amount of time. I could never be a home school mom. I just don't have that much patience! Isn't it so weird how when school gets out I'm soooo ready to have all my kids at home so we can play and be together, but when school goes back in I'm soooo ready for them to go back! We did have such a fun summer and after about 4 weeks of school, I'll probably be missing them a ton and ready for them to be back on summer break again!

To my little babies: good luck in school this year! I know you will have a wonderful year, learning new things and making new friends! I love each of you soooo much!! -Mom
Here comes the bus!
Off the bus at the end of a good First day!!

9 comments:

Julie said...

They're so cute and getting so big! I LOVE Spence's shirt. I was gonna buy that for Jack but they didn't have his size. I'm for sure getting it for Brady though when we have our shopping date. Anyways, glad they had a good first day/week.

Nicole said...

They all look so grown up! Starting school in August sucks... I can't believe how big G- man is- I started to get teary just looking at his pic and reading what you wrote about him- Marin is my quiet, nervous one- what is it about those 3rd children? The pics of Logan crack me up- he sure does have a BIG twinkle in his eye. We miss ya'll tons- it seems like MONTHS since saw you!

Monica said...

What a nice surprise to see your comment on our blog. Your kids are so cute. I think how much Garrett and Logan look like Adam Annie and Spencer must look like your side of the family. They are so cute. I had a hard time when our kids left today for school as well. Aaron is our oldest he is nine and is starting fourth grade. Megan and Sarah are our twins they are six and starting first grade and our youngest is Sophie she is 19 months and loves to be where I am. Our kids then are of similar ages which is fun. Looking forward to meeting you when you are in Utah again if you want let's e-mail each other to keep in touch. Mine is monicahaymore@yahoo.com Thanks again for your comment.

Lindsay said...

Very cute! I got teary just reading about you being teary over Garett going to first grade. There is no hope for me, I will be a disaster when it's my turn!

tiffany garfield said...

Oh my holy cuteness--your kids and you! You are such a great Mom. You had me tearing up...well, not too difficult to do with all these hormones from this baby but still. Note to self: I shouldn't read Mars post when Logan goes into first grade cause I will cry...especially if I'm pregnant at that time. You are such a cute Mom! Love you, Twink p.s. Thanks for your comment on choosing Kirras name and spelling--you're always so wise!

Sara LaClaire said...

so cute. i still only remember your kids as babies. it's so crazy that they're so grown up. logan looks so cute in his pictures too. i love it!

Louise said...

Mar, Are we really this old- who ok'd this, i'd like to know!! Your kids are darling and how exciting- I second all your thoughts. In fact I started crying AGAIN thinking about first grade. At our school they always sing at kindergarten graduation the song about heading to first grade. It's to the tune of "New York, New York" as in .....".I want to be be apart of it.. First Grade, First Grade!" Not a dry eye I tell you.....sigh.....
Oh, and I loved all your pictures of your mom's 60th birthday- saw some dear folks I haven't seen in a while. Tell your mom I said Happy Birthday- and that she does look fabulous, as do you babe!

Julie said...

Yeah Marilee....now we have met officially I added you to my blog! I have to tell you that I think your youngest and Heather's Josh look just alike! More like brothers than cousins! Such cute first day of school pictures.

Sara said...

Your daughter looks just like you! Love it! Such a cute family and I'm so glad I found your blog. Hope things are good!