Last week I was able to fly up to Calgary (at the last minute) to attend my mom's 60th Surprise Birthday Party! The party had been planned for a while but because my siblings and I live in the States, the party planners didn't think we'd want to come up. We found out about it on Monday and on Wednesday night around midnight, I decided to go, thanks to my amazingly awesome friend Lauri, who was able to give me a buddy pass so I could fly up, standby! It was so crazy but thanks to my amazing friends here in CO, I was able to farm out the kids for two days, get to the airport, make the flight and be there for the party. My mom had absolutely NO idea about the party! I even called her an hour before just to "chat". When she walked in and got the "Surprise" she looked at me about 4 times before it even registered to her that it was me standing there. When she finally realized it was me she screamed "what are you doing here!? I just talked to you an hour ago!" It was so funny! I wish my brother and sisters could have been there to surprise her with me, but with how last minute it was, it just didn't work out that way! Of course the party was fabulous with all of mom's friends from over the past 30+ years and Jenny did a FAB job with all the arrangements! Thanks Jen!
Anyway, I know I'm a bit biased but I think my mom looks absolutely FANTASTIC for being 60! One more than one occasion we've been asked if we are sisters. Of course she LOVES it and I'm kind of undecided about all that. Hmmmm, does it mean she looks young or I look OLD! Probably both! HA HA! I hope I can follow in her footsteps and look that good when I'm 60! Happy Birthday Mom!! I love you!!
On a side note, which really isn't a side note, but an EXCITING NOTE, my brother Sean, who we've all been waiting and waiting for him to find the right girl, finally did and at the party snuck away with his girlfriend Katelyn to propose! Of course we all knew he was going to do it so it was quite the ordeal as we all watched and waited for them to return from the spot where he was taking her to propose. Because I drove out to the Party with Jen, I was able to help her set up the spot for him and Uncle Ian was even able to sneak through the bushes and get the proposal on tape! Both Sean and Katelyn were BEAMING all night long! Congratulations! Love You!
Now for the Memory Lane part: My mom has been working on getting all of her pictures onto the computer and then onto discs. She's spent HOURS scanning pictures from all her MILLIONS of albums. She still has HOURS and HOURS left to do! It will be awesome when she gets them all finished!! Anyway, while I was home it was fun to look through some of our old family pictures. I came across so many that brought FLOODS of fun memories! I really did have such a good, fun childhood, not that I ever thought I didn't, just that so many of the memories fade and you forget. Going through the pictures reminded me of what a great family I have, both immediate and extended!!! Anyway, I came across this picture while going through the boxes my mom had! I have been laughing and laughing about it! I showed it to Adam and the kids and they've been laughing over it more than I have! Can you believe my hair? To those of you who know that I describe my hair as "yeast rising" when it dries on its own, here is the evidence! This was my PRE hairdryer, flat iron days! Enjoy!! (PS-It is my soccer picture when I was about 10ish!!) Also, Adam pointed out that if you look just at my face, and try with all your might to NOT look at the hair, my face is EXACTLY Logan's! I've never thought he looked like ME, just like a Miller, but clearly, he is me!
Marilee about 10 years old! NICE HAIR!!! Ha ha ha ha ha! (Erin I think this one gives your childhood picture a little competition :-)
9 comments:
Of course, first of all, I am super sad I missed the party! Let's not go there..... Looks like it was fun though. Second what the hell is wrong with your hair? And what was mom thinking allowing you to look like that. I cannot stop laughing and I will keep this post close at hand for those moments and days when I need a good laugh. I'm sure there are some pics of me in that big tub that are this fantastic as well!!!!! Aren't we grateful for blow dryers and flat irons. Remember when I used to iron your hair? It is really really really hard to try and block that hair out, but Logan definitely looks like you! Love you!
OH! MY! GOSH! That is the funniest picture of you ever. Totally not the one I was thinking of...this one is much better then the one in my head. Hahahahaha. I can't stop laughing. As for the party and the engagement...it looks like so much fun. Can't wait for the wedding so we can go home and PARTAY! The ring is gorgeous!
Sniff, Wah! (I'm not crying about your hair) What an amazing party and the engagement was a fabulous added bonus.
Happy belated to your wonderful Mom!
The whole blog is great- but seriously what is with the hair?! I guess it matches those super short white shorts your mom used to dress Ryan in! Your face looks so much like your kids!! Was the birthday cake really that bright? Holy cow!
I'm so glad that you were able to make it to the surprise party. It looks like it was a great time! As for the hair, it totally rocks! That is some seriously humongous hair, unbelievable!
that is classic hair, no way I can top that....I can only say that my stomach was as big as your hair at 10 years old:) erin
that is classic! I'm actually jealous that you have so much hair! You do look exactly like Logan...funny when you look back and realize that!
Sounds like a fun party, I miss being around everybody!
That picture of your hair is going up somewhere for your 4oth birthday party...Tanya will make sure of that. Good thing you have quite a few years, maybe she'll forget. Outrageous...sad to say, I have some that are like that.
so glad you got to go. love the hair! i'll have to post my mortifying picture of me at that age with glasses as big as your hair. and they were a peachy-pink - fabulous!
Post a Comment