Spring Break is always a much needed rest for both children and parents a like in my book. I love having my kids home with me for that short period of time! No schedule to follow, friends, fun, vacations...just a little bit of R&R for everyone!
This year our Spring Break was just that! No schedule, friend, fun and vacation! Since Julie and TJ were moving from Chicago to Utah the same week as our Spring Break we decided to go to Utah to see them. They drove through and stayed at our house on Sunday with the plan that Monday we'd wake up and drive the rest of the way. The forecast was for snow so I kind of decided in my mind I wasn't going to go. If we postponed our day of departure by one more day it wouldn't really be worth it for me to go. When we woke up Monday morning the 10 inches of snow we were supposed to get were no where in sight. In record time I had the kids and myself packed, loaded and ready to go. (Adam had to go to Chicago on business so he didn't get to come, which was a bummer!)
We started out with Julie and TJ in their separate cars following me! Despite a broken spedometer on my car and a few extra "potty breaks" for Logan the drive was uneventful! The kids played with their cousins, watched movies, giggled and slept! The highlight of the drive was when I had baby Reece in my car, with Natalie on one side of her and Garett on the other. I heard Natalie say (completely serious) "Garett, if you want to talk to Reecey all you have to do is say "Ah" and she'll understand you". Of course Garett immediately wants Reecey to understand him so he starts saying "Reecey, Ah, Reecey, Ah" Natalie joined in and after about 10 "ah"'s Reecey finally responded with her own "Ah" to which Natalie joyfully proclaims "See Garett, she understands you!" I love the simple ways kids minds work!
So the first night we arrived in Provo at the Marriott Residence Inn! Julie and TJ's house wasn't ready to move into yet so we stayed the night literally across the street from the Condo that Julie and I both lived in when we were at BYU. Every time I go back to Provo I feel like I'm in a Time Warp! Nothing there has changed and despite the fact that I'm married with 4 children now, somehow in my pshyce (sp?) I don't think I've changed either. I feel like I'm 20 years old again! It's such a weird feeling! I LOVED my days at BYU and though I'd never go back to that time, I love all the wonderful memories I have! Julie and I took the kids swimming that night to let them get some energy out. It was fun to watch our kids play together and talk about how fast time goes by!
The next morning we were able to go over to Julie's house. They are renting a furnished home and though it wasn't exactly up to standard in cleanliness, it is furnished and will be just fine for them til they buy a house! I took the kids to the Armstrongs while Julie gave the house a good scrubbing!
We were able to spend time with Gongie (Grandma Scadlock), see my cute cousin Amy who is getting ready to have her first baby, hang out with the Armstrongs and go to Amy's baby shower! For me one of my highlights of the week was having my other sister Heather fly in. She came in late Thursday night so she could be there for Amy's baby shower. Mom came too but didn't get there until Saturday morning. After Julie and I picked Heather up from the airport the three of us went out to dinner. While we were sitting there we realized that was the first time we'd ever gone to dinner just the 3 of us! Though it was seemingly insignificant, it was a special moment for me. I love my sisters so much and wish so badly that we could live closer and have more of those times together! They are both younger than I am but both teach me so much about life! They are wonderful examples of being good wives, good mothers, and valiant daughters of God!! I love you Sisters! (I'm so mad that we didn't get a picture of the three of us while we were at dinner!)
Another highlight of the week was when I was able to meet some of my college roommates for lunch. Natascha, Tiani and Shae! It was great to see all of them and catch up on all their news! Loe ya girls!
I didn't see my kids a whole lot during the week because they were SOOOOO busy playing with their cousins. From sun up to sun down they playing star wars, at the park, ripsticking in the basement, etc. It is so fun to see them get along so well with their cousins!
On Saturday afternoon we headed for home! I was driving by myself with the kids and a bit nervous about being alone! The kids were troopers though and with few stops we were able to make it home in 7 1/2 hours!
We are so excited to have Julie and TJ back in the west! Though we wish they were here with us, we are still happy to have them closer! I'm sure we'll get very familiar with the drive back and forth to Utah!
3 comments:
We are also so glad that TJ and Julie are back west, wahoo! Fun trip for you guys!
Thanks for coming. It was so fun and you were so awesome to take my kids off my hands a few times to look at houses, clean my house and stuff. See you again in a few days!!!! And I love you too!
It was soooo fun although it was way too short!
Post a Comment