Saturday, June 23, 2007

We Walked 26.2 Miles!!!!


We did it!!! Wow was it ever a great experience!! My friend Jenn and I had an amazing day walking through Denver supporting the Breast Cancer cause! We didn't have any intentions of walking the entire 26.2 miles. We decided that our goal was 20 miles! Once we hit 21 miles we thought, what's 5.2 more! We are so proud of ourselves!!

We decided that we want to get a big group of people to do it with us next year! For such a great cause, who wouldn't? The only hard part is the blisters!! Yep, I have 3 very sore blisters! Thankfully I didn't feel them until the last 4 miles. At that point I was absolutely NOT stopping. The picture below is of us in the Medic tent soaking our feet in icey water. We then had nurses and podiatrists pop them and bandage them up! It reminded me SOOO much of basketball camp when I was in Jr. High and High School! The blisters were worth it though!

In the picture of us soaking our feet you might notice a big ribbon I'm wearing around my neck! It says "Every Three Minutes" on it! The statistic says that every three minutes in the US someone is diagnosed with Breast Cancer so through out the day, every three minutes some of the volunteers would randomly pass out a ribbon to someone! We were asked to wear it through the rest of the day! It was a very real way of seeing how many people are affected by this disease! Very scary to say the least!!

At about mile 25 I called my mom! I wanted her to know how grateful I was that she survived and that my shirt was able to say "Celebrating" instead of "in Memory of"! Thanks for fighting so hard mom! I love you!

I am so grateful I was able to experience this! Thanks Jenn, I had such a great time talking to you (for 8 hours straight) It was so much fun to get to know you better! You are an amazing woman! Luv Ya Girl! I also enjoyed meeting new people, hearing some of their stories, reading their backs and who they were walking for (overwhelming to see so many names) and supporting a great cause!

Please join us next year! We're serious! If you let me know you are in I'll let you know as soon as registration opens! The more people the better and we can even wear matching clothes :-)

Can't wait!

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Very cool! I would love to do that next year!

Marcie said...

What a great walk to participate in! I'm sure that it was a very emotional and fulfilling experience for all that were involved. I'm proud of you for walking that far! You go girl! Side note - we're probably moving to Denver within the next year or so!!! Call me when you have a minute.

Julie said...

Count me in for next year! Even if I don't live there yet, which I damn well better, I'll make a trip out for it! And I'm also glad that you got to wear a 'celebrating' shirt for mom.

Heather said...

I'm totally in for next year! I think that would be great. I have a big list I could put on my shirt, including mom and Linda! I'm proud of you!

shannon said...

Woot Woot! That is so awesome and congrats to you and your friend, and of course to Janet! If I can swing it, I'd love to be there next year with you girls...and maybe make a girls weekend outta it? can i be a miller girl for just a weekend and join in? good to see you too in UT...you are just too beautiful and skinny for words!

Jeni said...

You motivated me to do it - that is so awseome!