Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Introducing Our Little "Lucy"

I know I am probably going to hear a lot of grief about this one, but I'm prepared for it so here we go!

A few weeks ago Annie and Adam had a Daddy/Daughter Date! Their plan was to go see the movie "Inkheart". They ended up getting there too late and decided to see "Hotel For Dogs" instead. Thus our story begins.....

I was quietly sitting at home wondering what treat they were going to bring home to me as I had put in an order for something "sweet" :-). Logan was in bed and Spencer and G were watching a movie downstairs when the phone call came. In anticipation of my "treat announcement" Annie and Adam proceded to tell me they were at the pet store in the mall and there was a "bagel" (a cross between a beagle and a bassett hound) puppy for sale and Annie was in deep smitt! They were calling to ask if they could buy her and bring her home! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------!!! These lines are representative of the complete silence they heard on their end of the phone after asking me such a question! "NO WAY!!!" was my answer. "NO WAY!!!! Adam what are you thinking! I'm pregnant and sick and you want to bring home a PUPPY???? NO WAY!!!!" I couldn't believe they would even ask! So as the evening proceeded, I started receiving text message pictures of this adorable little puppy with Annie holding her. Admittedly my heart was softening to mush just looking at the blurry, blackberry phone pictures!

INTERJECT: I need to interject here and share a little history! Annie is a dog LOVER! She has wanted a dog ever since I can remember! I also have always wanted a dog thinking we'd get one when the kids were older! Adam and I had talked a lot before we knew I was pregnant and decided we would get the kids a puppy for Christmas. Then, I got pregnant and all thoughts of puppy plans were completely forgotten!

BACK TO THE STORY: After lots of telephone discussion I told Adam that as cute as that pet store puppy was, I had done enough research to know NOT to buy a puppy on a whim, and NOT to buy a puppy from a puppy store without knowing anything about the breeder for fear it came from a puppy mill. Adam finally agreed and we hung up agreeing that the next day we would make some phone calls to find out more about the dog and where she came from! When Annie got home I told her if that puppy was supposed to be ours she'd be there on Monday. Well, the next day, after church we called the pet store and she had been sold. Annie cried the saddest cry I've ever seen her cry. She was SOOOOO sad. Nestled into her daddy's arms I mouthed to Adam "THIS is all your fault" (that's two things that have been his fault lately :-). To cheer Annie up I told her we'd start looking on line at dog breeders and see if we could find any puppies that we liked. So we spent all afternoon looking at adorable puppy pictures. From researching breeds of dogs that are good for families on and off over the past few years, we had looked at Golden Retrievers, Labradors, Puggles (pugs and beagle mix) and Beagles. Beagles seemed to be a good fit for us as they dont' get too big, they are great with kids and friendly with other dogs. So the search for a Beagle began. There were a ton of adorable ones that we looked at and I started emailing the owners. Without ALL the details, the one I fell for at first sight was from a family in Texas. They had their own two dogs, both purebred Beagles, that they breed. They had one little boy of their own and their two dogs. No puppy mill, no HUGE breeding facility, just a home where they loved their dogs.
After MUCH debate, discussion, listing of pros and cons and considering the ramifications of having a puppy and 4 1/2 months later a new baby, we decided to go for it. Our kids are at such a great age to be able to help with a dog. They are interested and not too busy with friends, sports and social events to be able to enjoy her and help with her. So without the kids knowing, we put a deposit down on the cute little Beagle Puppy from Texas. She was only 5 weeks old at the time. We had three weeks to think, reconsider, research and prepare. I thought after the deposit money went in that I would FREAK out but I didn't! I kept waiting to have a meltdown moment but didn't. Even up to the night before picking her up at the airport. No meltdown.
So, yesterday my neighbor, good friend and puppy lover, Lynette, came with me to go to the airport to pick her up while all the kids were at school (Spencer was home sick so I told him I was running errands and would be home later). When they brought her out in her TEENSY TINY Kennel, I was shocked at how small she is. The pictures we had seen made her look much larger. Instantly I was hooked and so was Lynette. We both oooooed and awwwwwwed at her, signed the papers, tried to get her to go potty (a no go) and then climbed into the car for the 45 min. drive home. Happily I will report that she didn't pee in the car and once home she waited til we put her down on the grass to have her "moment"-which was a LONG one- showing that if needed, she can hold it! Good Puppy!

SPENCER'S Reaction: As soon as I got home I went in the house and told Spencer I needed him to help me bring some things in from the car. He got up off the couch and followed me out to the back of the car where Lynette was standing holding her. His face says it all! Watch the video:


LOGAN's Reaction: Logan was the next one home! Adam came home from work early and picked Logan up from Preschool on the way. As they drove into the driveway we saw Logan's little face peek out the window and turn to confusion! He couldn't take his eyes off the dog as he climbed out of the car and went straight towards her. He was a little nervous at first but warmed right up!



ANNIE and GARETT'S Reaction: Annie and G were walking up the street from the bus when they came around the corner and saw a bunch of people standing on our front lawn. They both saw the puppy at the same time. Annie started walking fast, giggling the whole time and came straight toward me to take her out of my arms. Garett couldn't stop talking. Is that our Puppy? I had no idea?




NAMING OUR PUPPY: The kids were each totally in shock! We spent the whole afternoon and evening playing with her, and playing with ALL the neighborhood kids. Each of them wanted to have a say on what we named her. After much debate and going through about a BILLION different names, the kids decided to name her "Lucy". It seems to fit her quite well and though it wasn't even a name on our radar to begin with, we now have a dog named Lucy!
ALL the neighborhood kids
THE TASK AHEAD: I definitely have A LOT of work ahead of me! So far she has done great! We are crate training her and last night she slept, next to my bed, in her crate. She only whimpered a few times at bedtime and then fell asleep until about 1:45 (we went to bed at 9:30). I took her out and then brought her right back to bed. She was wrestless for a few minutes and then went right back to sleep until about 5am where I took her out again. I put her back to bed and she slept until about 6:30 when she heard the kids start to stir! She's been playing with them all morning, let us know she had to go out by standing at the back door, did her potty "biznezz", ate and is now SOUND asleep in her little doggie bed on the floor next to me.

So far this adventure has started out well.....We'll see how it goes in the next few weeks! One thing I know for sure though is DOG WHISPERER HERE I COME!!!!

13 comments:

Heather said...

She is soooo cute! You know me and I am not a fan of dogs or really pets of any kind, but that puppy is adorable! Love her! Can't wait to see how your adventure unfolds!

McKenna said...

OHHHHHH!!!! I WANT ONE! Just today I was telling Josef that I want a dog. We talk about it a lot we already have a name picked, but, it may not be the right time for us. But seriously after looking at my friends blog post stating she just got a dog, and now yours... I am so jealous, I want a buubie!

Lucy is SO SO CUTE!! And a beagle, what could be better, they are definately the CUTEST!! Congrats, I am sure you won't regret it despite the first year with biteing and training she'll be such a family treasure!

Kacey said...

Dang girl...you are a brrrrrave woman taking that on with baby #5 on the way and puking your brains out in the process.

She SURE is cute though and already sounds like a very good natured little dog. Leslie would be very proud of you for doing your research and not buying her from a puppy mill ;-)

Nicole said...

Those pics and vidoes are so cute- I almost want one. Of course then I look around my house and think of all the things I need to do today and there is no way! Don't tell my kids I actally thought about it- I'd be in big trouble and never hear the end of it.

Julie said...

Crazy, Crazy, Crazy that is what you are! But Lucy is adorable! Have you looked at Kendra's blog...she is double crazy! I love my dog Chloe, but she is 13 now and that is kind of sad for me. We got her when our youngest was 9 months old. He just started sleeping thru the night and we got a puppy! I know, I was crazy, crazy crazy once too! Have fun!

Lindsay said...

Lucy is a super cute name! Thanks for letting us come over and see her! Madison has been wanting to come back and see her all day!

Amy said...

She is soooooo cute! I love her and if anyone can take on a puppy months before baby #5 it's you, Mar!!! Love it!! Have so much fun!

McKinlay Family said...

We got a dog right before Christmas when Davis went into the home. The kids love it, their friends love it, me whatever. I pet it with my foot every now and then. But it is now a member of the family and it is great for the kids. You will be glad in the long run. Maybe not this week or next however. (We got a beagle chihuhua mix. Cute)

Mom, Aunt, Grandma Ehat or Lori said...

Ah, what's one more kid/dog?! And your older kids can help and will be a big help not only with the dog but the baby too! She is adorable!!! And with that said, is there ever a perfect time to get a dog/pet? They teach responsiblity in a whole new way and you have chosen a gem. My best friend growing up oftentimes was our dog Dinky. She would listen to me when I was sad, having a bad day, having a good day. Actually, I think getting her before the baby arrives is a good thing - you have several months to train her before baby-boo arrives. Love and enjoy it all!!

Andrea said...

What fun for your family! Beagles are great dogs too. My sister has two of them and they are a part of the family. I loved seeing everyone's reactions to the new puppy. Enjoy!

Nathan & Michelle Watabe said...

Marilee, I don't even like dogs, but I was tearing up watching your kids greet their new puppy. I think I was thinking ahead to them meeting the new baby and that made me cry. She is a very cute dog and I love her name. She will have you all ready to be up during the night with the baby! I am so excited to find out what you're having on Monday. Please post ASAP.

Louise said...

Hi Marilee, Congrats! Your kids will never forget that you got them a puppy! It's a childhood right of passage. I swore I would never get one either, but finally after a lot of begging and research- I caved. I thought they would tire of her, but 4 years later, they still love her so much! We got ours when Klaire was a brand new baby, so you can do it! I always tell Klaire that she and our dog were puppies at the same time!! She loves to tell everyone that. Have fun- what a cutie!

Julie Miller said...

so adorable!!! Enjoy the puppy stage... just like babies it doesn't last long. Love you!