Have you ever had a day where you just wanted to sit and read other people's blogs? When I first started blogging 2 years ago (gosh times flies) I loved finding and reading blogs of people that I knew. Mostly I would just go to my friends/family sites and click on the links of other friends and family, then click on other friends and family and so on! I found a lot of old friends whom I'd lost touch with that way. I loved it and for awhile was quite addicted to it!
Well, about a month or so ago I was reading a bunch of blogs to catch up on everyone's holiday festivities. I had a million things to do but just couldn't seem to tear myself away from reading all the funny entries of my friends. I am constantly amazed at how some of you write! You are so clever and witty and turn every day events into stand up comedy! It's totally entertaining! Anyway, as I was "linking" (as I call it) around from site to site I started randomly clicking on the links of people I don't know! Again I loved reading their funny entries but mostly I would just look at their pictures to see if I knew them. I'd move on and link from their site to some other random persons site! Before I knew it I had wasted away hours of brainless "blog hopping"! I got great ideas from parenting ideas, to family activity ideas to cute blogging ideas! At one point one of the "random" links I clicked on had a link back to my sisters blog. Yes, I had stumbled upon someone who knew my sister. Not just knew her but knew her well enough to have her as one of her "favorite blogs". Crazy! So then it became a game! Who else did I know from linking randomly around cyber space? You'd be amazed at who you can find. One day I stumbled onto a site that was the family of a guy I'd grown up with. I also, randomly, stumbled onto an ex-boyfriends site, who again had links that connected me back to my sister's site...and people say I know everyone! Nope, I've learned that it is actually Heather who knows everyone... So anyway, a few times since then I have "blog hopped" my way around the internet. A few weeks ago I was on my sister in laws site and stumbled onto a site of a guy and his family who I used to work with in college who is now in my sister in laws Stake in Cali. His wife is adorable, their kids are adorable and it was fun to catch up on what he and his family have been up to over the past years...that is until this weekend!
Annie and I were in So. Cal. visiting for Grace's blessing and went to the performance of "Savior of the World". During the show I saw that this friend was one of the cast members. I hadn't seen him in years so after the show I went to say hello. He introduced me to his wife and I proceded to tell them that I had stumbled onto their website a few weeks ago. I went on and on about how cute their family is and what a good writer she is etc. After I babbled on and on she looked at me and with a very skeptical, "you are a crazy lady" look on her face she said "And how do you know my husband?". It was then that I realized how crazy I really am! THIS has got to stop! But how do I stop doing something I love doing so much? Through my embarassment of how crazy I must have sounded to these people, I came up with some rules to be followed when Blog "HOPPING" so as not to be mistaken as a Blog "STALKER". The rules are quite simple and easy to follow! They are:
#1 When Blog "hopping" be sure to make comments on the blogs that you come across where you know the person
AND
#2 If you don't make a comment, do NOT, under any circumstances, tell the person, if you ever happen to meet them, that you "found" their blog and have read it for the minute the words "I've read your blog" come out of your mouth, you are instantly changed from a blog "HOPPER" into a blog "STALKER" and although most of us are Blog "STALKERS" we most definitely don't want anyone to know it! :-)
21 comments:
Wooooo! Stalking your blog is exhausting! You've got major updates to read up on! :-) Dido on this post about blog hopping ;-) I just can't stop...That is so funny about the wife giving you the KOO KOO look! She just doesn't get it- she's probably a closet blog stalker! hehe
I couldn't agree more with these rules. I have heard stories of people seeing someone int he airport who they "know" when really they stalk their blog. and I like to think I am just a hopper as well!
That is hilarious! I agree...I haven't blog hopped forever! You need one of those days where nothing is going on and you're all alone...doesn't happen too often with me!
Okay per your request (rule #1) I am leaving a comment I promise I'm not a Blog Stalker but after reading Jocelyn's comment on the WKTGS blog I had to come check out this post.
She was right, you are hilarious! :)
This made me laugh. Just a few weeks ago Bill & I were at the airport and I recognized someone's husband from her blog. I'm sure he would've thought I was a crazy person if I'd gone up and said something to him so I kept to blog etiquette and kept my mouth shut! Makes me wonder though who out there recognizes me or my family. Hmmm....going private is seeming more appealing to me everyday.
Marilee you are hysterical. I love the rules... it is fun to hop around and get ideas from great people you do and don't know!
HaHaHa! I love it, it is so true! BTW, Kendra would totally agree with you that I know everyone, she has always teased me because I have some pretty crazy connections to people. What can I say I am one popular person, I guess! LOL
did you write this post with me in mind?!! I know I've mentioned to you that I read your blog. This is my first comment: better late than never. Now I am not a blog stalker! ;)
Did you write this post with me in mind??!! I know I've mentioned to you that I read your blog. Yes, this is my first comment (better late than never). Now I'm not a blog stalker anymore!! ;-)
Hi Marrilee,
Just looking at your last few posts and I am amazed how well you write your thoughts and feeling. Your photos of you and Annie are darling sounds like you had so much fun. On another note, I read a back log of your feelings on your kids and Adam. I remember growing up how nice he was to me even when other primary kids were not so thanks Adam!
Hi Marrilee,
I enjoy reading your blogs. I hope I am more a hopper than a stalker but I think it is true that sometimes we are stalkers wanting to know what is going on in friends and families lives. on a quick note I read one other entry. just wanted to thank Adam for being so kind to me when we were kids.
Marrilee,
This is Kendra, Heather's friend and I have to say I love this post. Everything is so true that you wrote. I have to agree Heather does know EVERYONE!
HAHAHAHAHA! This is so true!!!! I'm a border line blog stalker and it scares me!!
mar, you crack mr up!
That is so true! It can get really addicting. I think the rules are hilarious and very true! Patrick and my family think I am extra crazy when I update them on what everyone is doing too.
I'll admit I am a blog hopper and I love it! I have checked out your blog a few times from Lisa Johnson's (we were roomies at Ricks) and I just think you have a sweet family. So, this weekend at conference I saw you at the press conference (what a neat father-in-law you have!)and thought it was so funny to "recognize" you because I've read your blog. Anyway, you are obviously a great family and someday if I meet you I promise not to tell you I've read your blog so I don't freak you out!
Hi Marilee. I figured I better leave a comment to let you know I am definitely a blog hopper to your site. This is Chris Johnson's little sister Lindsey. I'm sure I was about 14 the last time you saw me. I always wanted to be like you and Lisa when I grew up, so I occasionally look at your blog to see how you're doing. It's always nice to hear I'm not the only one who has a blog hopping addiction.
I basically get paid to blog hop/stalk. It really is addicting and amazing how many people you can find. I will definately follow your rules in order to avoid a similar situation.
It's like the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game!
I'm a happy little 'stalker' :) I came across a blog recommended from my friend Janet and read it for FOUR hours on Sat. night. How bad is that?
Great to see you last week.
Marilee, I am totally a blog stalker/hopper! I am laughing out loud! Some lady in our stake (yours and mine although we have never actually met) came up to me last night at the Teacher Appreciation Dinner and told me all about clicking on my blog and how she loved the BYU jammies yada yada yada and I was a little freaked out! But I do the very same thing! I click on friends of my friends and I totally love it!! Which, by the way is how I found Heather, thru my sis in law Kendra's blog and then you from hers. So sad! Thanks for the laugh! We really should meet some day. Not like we live far away!
just a blog hopper here!
ha Ive enjoyed your blog...
nope I'm not a stalker... not me!
Post a Comment