Anyway, today in Denver there was a "Rally for Romney" so I recruited my father in law to come with me and then met up with Adam, Richard and Colton. What an experience!! We got there about an hour early and the place was completely packed! After standing in a "sunny" spot with no hope to move Greg decided to move towards the back and cool down. I was determined to move closer to the front. After a bit of shuffling and planning with a fellow Mitt supporter, I made my way up to about the 3rd row!
Mitt cheering along with everyone there!
It was so exhilarating to be in a room where a candidate for the US President is standing and speaking. Mitt was AWESOME!!! He spoke for about 20-25 minutes but it didn't seem that long at all! He is so impressive in person. Not that he doesn't do a great job on TV but in person its a whole different story. Afterwards he walked around shaking peoples hands. I was about 2 people away from shaking his hand when he changed directions to shake hands with the other side of the crowd. BUMMER!! I stood around for a minute and then started to follow some of the media to the back of the building. My dad had emailed me a letter to give to him if I could so again i pushed my way up next to him just in time for him to be shuttled off to a press conference. I did touch his elbow though :-) During his speech he had introduced his nephew and as I turned to leave he was standing right next to me. I turned to him, told him my father was Mitt's old mission companion and asked him to give Mitt the letter. He accepted it and said he'd get the letter to him. While I was disappointed not to shake Mitt's hand I felt satisfied that I was able to deliver the letter. I eventually found Adam, Greg and the boys outside and as we started to head out heard someone say that Mitt would be coming outside to speak again. We found the door he was going to come out and stood right next to the walkway he would be passing by on. He came out, started shaking everyones hand while moving down the line. When he got to me I leaned in and told him who my father was. He stopped! Yep stopped and said "my mission companion!". I gave him a message my dad had told me to tell him and he knew exactly what the message meant. He then said, "We get their Christmas Cards every year. Your dad looks different. He looks thinner, tell him he looks great!" He had slowly started to walk away and I said "this is my husband Adam". He stopped and came back to shake Adam's hand! He also shook Colton and Richard's hands! It was SOOOOOO cool! HE was soooo cool! I was so thrilled that he stopped to talk with me when there were so many people around. The lady next to me had grown up with him and I thought for sure he'd chat with her, but he just kept moving right on down the line without even a titch of recognition towards her. I thought for sure he wouldn't give me the time of day if he didn't give a person he'd known his whole life any attention. But, the mention of my dear old dad and he stopped in his tracks! Anyway, if I wasn't going to vote for him before (which I totally was BTW), I would DEFINITELY vote for him now. And not just cause I shook his hand! He's charismatic, confident, has a clear view of what the country needs, looks presidential and stands up for what he believes is right! (and he shook my hand and remembered my dad!) So from me to you....VOTE FOR MITT!!!!
(As a funny side note: As we were standing around waiting for Mitt to come outside, this woman came up to Adam and asked if he was with the Romney Campaign. Adam laughed and said no, why do you ask. She said, "because you look like you should!!" My husband, the politician! :-)
10 comments:
Mitt! Mitt! Mitt! Mitt! I'm so going on Sunday! He's gonna think the Don Miller children are stalkers!!!! Hahahahahaha!
What a fun afternoon! So glad you got to talk to him. Mitt Romney looks great framed by the back of your head --good hair day! :)
Look at you go...you should join his campaign! That's so great you got to meet him. You are right... he is so charismatic and his wife is so nice and totally down-to-earth. It's too bad so many people can't get past the fact that he is Mormon to really listen to his ideas and qualifications. Even though I don't agree with all his ideas, I think our economy is in desperate need of someone with his expertise in that area.
you totally redeemed yourself for not blogging for a while.
that is really cool. I never knew he and your dad were mission companions. I am a supporter of MItt as well, you dont have to convince me... but after hearing this, I am FORSURE for Mitt!
how freaking awesome is that? i love me some mitt too...i just have a very good feeling about him knowing that he believes in the same things i do. i just thing he's fantastic!
It sounds like you guys had a great time! Colton was totally impressed too. He told me all about it. Nice work scooting around until you could get close enough to shake his hand. Very awesome!
Mar, That is So cool! Mitt for president!
What an awesome experience- we didn't realize until too late that he was in Fountain Valley last week- Ryan could have gone and amde him completely freaked out by all the Millers!
I can see the adds now; Marilee C. The Woman to Stop Mitt Romney in his Tracks (read more...)
But, really that is amazing to be taking part in such an amazing part of the US that will be very memorable history! This is a huge campain. What a great privelage.
How awesome for you Marilee. And a picture to go along with it too.!
Post a Comment